A child must be baptized, has reached the age of reason (normally considered to be seven years of age), and has been properly formed in faith (participating in faith formation and preparation for this sacrament).
A child needs to know and understand:
- The difference between right and wrong.
- That accidents or mistakes are not sins.
- When we deliberately choose to do what is wrong and turn away from God, we sin.
- God is loving and merciful. God will always forgive us if we ask.
- Jesus has given us the sacrament of Reconciliation through which our sins are forgiven and we receive the grace to live as God’s children.
- We must be willing to forgive others, just as God forgives us.