Guidelines for Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist
St. Matthew the Evangelist Parish
- The Eucharist is distributed under both species at all Parishes.
- The number of Cups and Ciboria, and the stations for the EMs, will differ between parishes due to worship space differences.
Before Mass Begins
- Please arrive 10-15 minutes before Mass begins.
- Wash your hands and Purell them before Mass begins, not at Communion time.
- At St. Theresa…
- Take an EM cross from the basket and go to a convenient pew.
- At St. Andrew and St. Mary…
- If there is a Deacon, the designated EM will defer to the Deacon.
- Present yourself to the Celebrant and go to a convenient pew.
- EMs neither process in, nor process out, with the Celebrant.
Receiving the Precious Body and Blood of Christ
- As the Sign of Peace begins, greet 1-2 people/family members, but then come immediately to the Sanctuary. The Presider and Music Minister will wait for all EMs to be in place before the Lamb of God can begin.
- Approach the Sanctuary, bow and enter the Sanctuary. This is not done in unison with other EMs. Do not share the sign of peace with other EMs.
- When in the Sanctuary, whenever the Celebrant genuflects, you should bow.
- The gathering locations of the EMs varies (as seen from the congregation)…
- St. Andrew is to the right of the Altar
- St. Mary is to the right of the Altar
- St. Theresa is behind the Altar and in front of the Tabernacle. Go there immediately.
- Receive the Cup or Ciboria.
- Go immediately to your station, do not hesitate.
Distributing the Precious Body and Blood of Christ
- Be prepared to give a simple blessing to those who approach with their arms crossed. This blessing will be same given by a Priest, Deacon or Lay Minister – a simple cross on the forehead, without words. Similarly children who approach Communion with their parents.
- Use the words “The Body of Christ” or “The Blood of Christ,” without using names. Do not use the formula “This is the….”
- At St. Theresa and St. Mary…
- The first 2 EMs who receive the Precious Body go immediately to the first pews, one each side, distribute to the elderly in the first pew and then go to that side for the congregation.
- The third EM who receives the Host goes to the center to assist there (as needed).
- No intinction is allowed. If the Communicant tries to give you the Host, or dip the Host into the Cup, place your hand over the cup.
After distributing the Precious Body and Blood of Christ
- If there are no more Communicants for you to distribute Jesus to, use your discretion if there are other lines that need assistance. Place yourself so as not to get in the way of other Communicants or the other EM/Priest/Deacon.
- After you have distributed Jesus’ Precious Blood, if there extra, turn toward the altar, and consume the remainder of the Cup. Please do not move as you are consuming the remainder of the Cup. Place the empty Cup on the Altar. Bow to the altar and return to your pew. Do not wait for other EMs to be done, or for the Tabernacle to close.
- If you have distributed Jesus’ Precious Body, place your ciborium on the Corporal on the altar. Bow to the altar and return to your pew.
- EMs do not process out at the end of Mass.
Latest revision: 1/6/2020 (b)