As we emerge from the pandemic and a unique school year, many families are reviewing what may have been missed and looking for activities that may be done this summer. We have received several requests about offering faith formation (religious education, CCD) during this summer, to make up what was missed during the past year. Could these situations apply to you or someone you know:
-a child who should have started faith formation last fall and completed Grade 1 in school in June, who would want to enroll in a second year of faith formation this fall
-a child who attended faith formation in 2019-2020, but did not participate during the 2020-2021 year
Given that our faith formation materials now use an online platform, we can easily offer you the opportunity to complete the missing year of faith formation during the summer. We will be using the Discover curriculum from St. Mary’s Press. To be able to offer this opportunity during the summer, we propose the following expectations:
1. We will set you up on the digital platform, but if you wish to use paper materials you need to contact us specifically, as only a limited supply are available.
2. There will be no enrichment sessions in person or on Zoom (as we offered during the school year).
3. We expect that you will also register for faith formation for the 2021-2022 year, if you have not yet done so.
4. We are unable to offer sacramental preparation for Reconciliation and Eucharist during the summer. That will be offered during the next school year.
5. We ask that you complete the online portion of the materials by September 1. Please register for Summer Make Up Religious Education by July 31.
6. I (Tony, the Director) would be happy to offer technical support for using the online materials on an as-needed basis – just ask! If many of you are in need and have the same questions, I could offer a Zoom session or will create a video.
I invite you to share this message with your friends and on social media. A number of families may have children who need to begin their faith formation, and may not receive this message because we do not have their contact information.
If you participated in faith formation during this past school year, thank you! We think it went rather well given everything going on. We wanted to send you this message so that you may share it with others, and / or in case you wish to make up a year missed in the past.
Job Opening – Interim Coordinator of Children’s Ministries
We are looking for an Interim Coordinator of Children’s Ministries. This position will be part of a team implementing a new approach to parish faith formation (focusing on Grades 1-4 and their families), as well as have responsibility for coordinating children preparing for and receiving their First Reconciliation (Penance, Confession) and First Eucharist (Communion). This is a part-time position with some flexibility in working hours.
For more information or to express interest, please contact Tony Carbrello, Director of Youth Faith Formation.